Special Pilot Call: Neonatal Research
Special Pilot Call: Neonatal Research
Sponsorship: CHOC neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), UC Irvine’s Department of Pediatrics Neonatal Division, and the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS)
Purpose: To encourage early exploration of high-risk translational research ideas addressing long term and immediate health needs caused by premature birth.
This special call is an invitation to interdisciplinary teams of researchers ready to propose novel approaches to advance neonatal research.
Eligible Projects: Clinical Translational Science Projects, currently not funded and aimed at obtaining preliminary results for a full application for extramural funds, are considered eligible. Emphasis will be placed on innovation and transformative potential of submitted proposals. The content of proposals, while obviously linked to applicants’ current research, should demonstrate a clear evolution towards novel, relevant, and untested research areas.
A clinical translational science project is defined as any project aimed at accelerating the transition from discoveries arising from laboratory, clinical, or population studies into clinical applications.
A grant will be awarded to a team comprised of UCI and CHOC researchers, and proposals must demonstrate active engagement between the two institutions and anticipated benefits to each partner of the collaboration.
- UCI researcher includes faculty, healthcare providers, post-doctoral researchers, graduate students, or senior researchers
One seed grant in the amount of $30,000 will be awarded and can be used to establish the research strategy and do proof of principle experiments to demonstrate feasibility of new innovative approaches to this issue.
All material must include the investigator’s name at the top right corner, and use a font no smaller than 11 pts, with margins no narrower than 0.5 inches.
- Abstract body: A brief description of the research plan limited to 300 words.
- Biosketch of PI (NIH new format), CO-PI (if applicable) and co-investigators.
- Research plan (5 pages max., plus references): Must include the following:
- Specific Aims
- Plans for applying for extramural funding
- Implementation Plan (click link to download form)
- Home department letter of support
- Budget (itemized, 1 page maximum)
- Budget Justification
- Funds cannot be used to support faculty salaries, computer purchases, or travel. Other personnel salaries (Project Coordinator, Post-Doc, Graduate Student, Staff Research Assistant, etc…) are allowable.
- No overhead will be provided for outside institutions
- UCI Financial Disclosure (Form 800 and if required Form 810; click link to download form)
Notification Emails for Receipt of Proposal
A notification email indicating the receipt of your protocol will be sent within 24 hours of submission. If you have not received an email, please contact April Bagaporo at 714-456-7524.
Milestones and Monitoring
Before funds are released, a meeting between the awardee, the department sponsor, a department financial analyst, and ICTS staff will review specific milestones to gauge project progression. Continuation of support throughout the entire award period will be contingent upon meeting the project's goals in a timely manner.
Review Process: Review criteria will include:
- Significance and potential impact of the proposed research
- Qualifications of the Research Team, including assembly of an inter-disciplinary team with the appropriate expertise in fields
- Innovative ideas
- Approach; scientific strength of the research design (please refer to NIH guidelines on scientific rigor and reproducibility http://grants.nih.gov/reproducibility/index.htm)
- Scientific environment
- Translational nature of the project
- Project feasibility within the proposed time frame
- Likelihood of generating extramural funding
For more information, please contact Dr. Margaret Schneider, Director of Pilot Studies for the ICTS at 949-824-8853 firstname.lastname@example.org or April Bagaporo, ICTS Pilot Grants Manager, at 714-456-7524 email@example.com.
To apply, please use this 2018 Neonatal Research Project
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE:
Full Proposal: January 15, 2018; 5 PM