UCI ICTS and VA Long Beach Informatics Pilot Project
Request for Applications (RFA)
The Institute for Clinical and Translation Science (ICTS) at the University of California, Irvine (UCI), and the VA Long Beach Health Care System (VA LB), are engaged in a collaborative agreement to support research initiatives in the broad category of translational science. As part of this agreement, the UCI ICTS and VA LB are funding two informatics pilot awards as outlined below.
- To continue to build a team science environment in translational research that emphasizes collaboration between UCI and VA LB.
- To increase the ability of these teams to competitively access large internal or extramural funding (e.g., VA, DOD, NIH).
- To develop multidisciplinary teams at UCI and VA LB and encourage early exploration of translational research frontiers utilizing electronic heath records and other types of data generated in clinical care.
- To enhance efforts at VA LB to achieve the Nursing Magnet status by demonstrating originality and experience in research.
- To support research focused on specific health priorities of veterans’ and active duty military and that also provide novel and generalizable insights into successful conduct of research in this population.
This call is an invitation to propose informatics pilot projects in translational science that will leverage patient care data generated by VA LB or VA nationwide. Topics may include, but are not limited to, machine learning and artificial intelligence leveraging local and/or national Veterans databases, health outcomes studies, and predictors and markers for disease and outcomes. Analysis of non-VA data resources, e.g., UCI Health Clinical Data Warehouse, can be used to complement or compare to VA data.
Funds are available to support two awards for one year with up to $50,000 per award. The funding period will be February 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023. Funded projects are expected to be completed within this timeframe. Funds are not allowed to be used for PI salary support, participating faculty or nurse salary support, travel, computer purchase, and journal subscriptions.
Minimum two Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PIs)
- One must hold a position, with primary duties, at VA LB*
- One must hold a position, with primary duties, at UCI (from any school or discipline)
- Junior and mid-career faculty are especially encouraged to apply, but established investigators pursuing novel research lines are also welcome
* Priority for funding, for one award, will be given to a team that comprises a nurse from VA LB acting in a leading research role.
A translational project is defined as any project aimed at accelerating the transition from discoveries arising from laboratory, clinical, or population studies into clinical applications.
Application opens: September 1, 2021
Deadline: November 2, 2021 5:00 pm PT
Application must include:
- Abstract (250 words)
- Include 3-5 key words pertaining to your project
- Research plan (5 pages max, plus references)
- Specific Aims
- Significance (be sure to address the translational potential of the project)
- Biosketch for each Co-PI (NIH format); optional for other key personnel
- Budget (itemized, 1 page maximum)
- Budget justification
To start the application click the above “apply” button. UCI researchers can sign in with their UCInetID. VA Long Beach researchers can create a new account, not requiring a UCInetID.
For questions contact Adrijana Gombosev at firstname.lastname@example.org.